Wiki Ultrasound Coding - OB vs Non-OB

Sdrivera

Contributor
Best answers
A patient who is less than 8 weeks pregnant presented to her PCP with heavy abnormal vaginal bleeding. The PA for the PCP performed a bedside US- no fetal sac seen, uterus no debri, no free fluid seen surrounding. It was coded with 76856, which I don't believe is correct. Would it be 76857? Could it also be 76815 because it's known that she's pregnant? I'm leaning more towards 76857 because the findings were limited and she presented to the clinic with something that was non-ob related. I also wasn't sure if a PA/PCP could code for an OB US. Any help would be great, thank you!

I'm still new to coding but I would think 76857 because documentation doesn't seem to support the complete? and if they didn't know she was pregnant when the she came in and until after the ultrasound....?

I'm still new to coding but I would think 76857 because documentation doesn't seem to support the complete? and if they didn't know she was pregnant when the she came in and until after the ultrasound....?
The doctor knew she was pregnant before this visit and is also seeing an OB/GYN. Yes, I do believe 76857 is the correct code.

The doctor knew she was pregnant before this visit and is also seeing an OB/GYN. Yes, I do believe 76857 is the correct code.
Why was the ultrasound performed? It if was performed because she was pregnant and bleeding, you would have to use an ob ultrasound code because they are evaluating the status of the pregnancy (which the documentation could imply). This coding advice is true (per CPT Assistant article) whether the patient is found not to be pregnant after the exam. If they were only evaluating abnormal bleeding for gyn purposes, you would use 76857.

From the 2001 CPT Assistant:

To clarify, for female patients with an established diagnosis of pregnancy, determined by any method, and with indications for the ultrasound procedure that might be pregnancy related, it is appropriate to report an obstetrical ultrasound code from the 76805-76815 series.

For a patient with an established diagnosis of pregnancy (determined by any means), with signs and symptoms that could be pregnancy related and necessitating an ultrasound evaluation of the pelvis, the obstetrical ultrasound code(s) 76805-76815 should be reported, even if the outcome of the procedure is that the patient is now not pregnant or has an ultrasonic diagnosis that might be construed as being independent of the pregnancy (eg, acute appendicitis, torsed ovary, necrotic fibroid).

Pelvic Ultrasound Coding

If a female patient without an established diagnosis of pregnancy presents with gynecological problems necessitating ultrasound evaluation (eg, dysmenorrhea, oligomenorrhea, menstrual irregularity, pelvic pain, etc.), then it is appropriate to report a pelvic ultrasound code 76856 or 76857. The use of codes 76856 or 76857 is not predicated upon whether or not the outcome of the ultrasound procedure is the diagnosis of pregnancy or a complication related to a pregnancy.

Why was the ultrasound performed? It if was performed because she was pregnant and bleeding, you would have to use an ob ultrasound code because they are evaluating the status of the pregnancy (which the documentation could imply). This coding advice is true (per CPT Assistant article) whether the patient is found not to be pregnant after the exam. If they were only evaluating abnormal bleeding for gyn purposes, you would use 76857.

From the 2001 CPT Assistant:

To clarify, for female patients with an established diagnosis of pregnancy, determined by any method, and with indications for the ultrasound procedure that might be pregnancy related, it is appropriate to report an obstetrical ultrasound code from the 76805-76815 series.

For a patient with an established diagnosis of pregnancy (determined by any means), with signs and symptoms that could be pregnancy related and necessitating an ultrasound evaluation of the pelvis, the obstetrical ultrasound code(s) 76805-76815 should be reported, even if the outcome of the procedure is that the patient is now not pregnant or has an ultrasonic diagnosis that might be construed as being independent of the pregnancy (eg, acute appendicitis, torsed ovary, necrotic fibroid).

Pelvic Ultrasound Coding

If a female patient without an established diagnosis of pregnancy presents with gynecological problems necessitating ultrasound evaluation (eg, dysmenorrhea, oligomenorrhea, menstrual irregularity, pelvic pain, etc.), then it is appropriate to report a pelvic ultrasound code 76856 or 76857. The use of codes 76856 or 76857 is not predicated upon whether or not the outcome of the ultrasound procedure is the diagnosis of pregnancy or a complication related to a pregnancy.
Thank you for the help!

A patient who is less than 8 weeks pregnant presented to her PCP with heavy abnormal vaginal bleeding. The PA for the PCP performed a bedside US- no fetal sac seen, uterus no debri, no free fluid seen surrounding. It was coded with 76856, which I don't believe is correct. Would it be 76857? Could it also be 76815 because it's known that she's pregnant? I'm leaning more towards 76857 because the findings were limited and she presented to the clinic with something that was non-ob related. I also wasn't sure if a PA/PCP could code for an OB US. Any help would be great, thank you!
Oh, and a PA/PCP can bill for an ob ultrasound if they are trained to do so (and this is within the PAs state scope of practice).