Wiki UB charge for telehealth Q3014 facility side during COVID19 crisis

Best answers
Does anyone know or have documentation to support if there are any special rules regarding a facility's ability to bill telehealth Q3014 on the UB, if the patient's originating site is their home, rather than the facility site during the COVID-19 crisis?

Not sure I understand what you're asking here - how can a facility be the originating site if the patient is in their home? The facility fee is only billed if the patient is in the hospital and is receiving services from a physician in a remote location. A hospital would not incur any costs that would warrant billing for if the patient is in their home.

Last edited:
I just listened to a webinar today, presented by Noridian, and they said there is no originating site to bill if the patient is located in their home. All of the rules surrounding the originating site are still in effect, so I would check to see if you meet the criteria per CMS to bill this code. Q3014 basically reimburses the facility for "hosting" the patient. If the patient is not present in the facility, then there is nothing to reimburse.

For a reference, there's a thorough discussion of this in the interim final rule, linked below. See the section entitled 'Site of Service Differential for Medicare Telehealth Services' starting on page 13 of the document. It explains that under the waiver, they are allowing physicians to be reimbursed at their office non-facility rates to compensate them for the costs that would normally have been incurred by the facility fee since in this case there is no facility involved. Hope this may help some.