Wiki Type 2MD Coding

luv2code

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hi

I am working a practice that consistently codes E11.9 Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus without complications) with DM codes that include complications. My physicians are trying to convey that the blood sugar itself at the visit is controlled but there are still issues with the conditions associated with the DM. Can we code E11.9 and complication codes associated with TYPE 2 DM at the same time/on the same visit? Please help

I hate it when providers do this, but Guideline 4.a seems to state that they can:

"As many codes within a particular category as are necessary to describe all of the complications of the disease may be used. They should be sequenced based on the reason for a particular encounter"

I do not know if anything in the "with" guidelines would supersede this

Reminder....we should not use E11.9 code with any other codes from Category E11 or with a manifestation. So if they are billing the complications using any of the E11.... codes then E11.9 should not be used in addition.

Hi

I am working a practice that consistently codes E11.9 Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus without complications) with DM codes that include complications. My physicians are trying to convey that the blood sugar itself at the visit is controlled but there are still issues with the conditions associated with the DM. Can we code E11.9 and complication codes associated with TYPE 2 DM at the same time/on the same visit? Please help

ICD-10 doesn't want to know if blood sugars are controlled. It only wants to know when its not and there is a specific code to use in that case.

I hate it when providers do this, but Guideline 4.a seems to state that they can:

"As many codes within a particular category as are necessary to describe all of the complications of the disease may be used. They should be sequenced based on the reason for a particular encounter"

I do not know if anything in the "with" guidelines would supersede this

Key word is complications. "Without complications" is not a complication