Wiki tx wound dehiscence help please!

TLC

Guru
Best answers
A patient came into the office 4/13/15 and had a lipoma removed from the trunk. He than returned 4/21/15 for a problem with the excision. The wound had opened up on one side. Sutures still in place. There was a blood clot coming out from the wound. The doctor a (different one, but same practice) spent 30-40 minutes removing the blood clot. She than closed just that open part of the wound with steri strips. Is this considered "up and above global"? I thought she could maybe charge a 12021 however this says with infection there was no infection just the clot. Can she charge anything at all maybe a E/M code since closed with steristrips or is there something else she could charge. Thank you.

If the return to the office for the dehiscence treatment falls within the global period of the lipoma surgery then I might have to say 'no', this is a complication of the same surgery and would be included in the global period, even an E/M visit. Sorry :-(

I saw this under the guidelines.
Follow up care for Therapeutic Surgical Procedures.
Follow-up care for therapeutic surgical procedures includes only that care which is usually a part of the surgical service. Complications, exacerbations,recurrence or the presence of other diseases or injuries requiring additional services should be seperately reported. I think this would apply? Thanks

tx wound dehiscence

the debatable point would be "typical post-op care" for the procedure performed. I wouldn't think that removing a blood clot would be considered typical unless all lipoma- removal surgeries develop blood clots postoperatively. For commercial insurance I would file the claim(however you decide to code it) but send along the physician's notation of the presence of the blood clot and its removal(time spent; difficulty, etc). But if the patient has Medicare, the claim will probably be denied because it didn't require a return to the OR.
Good luck.