Wiki Twins Delivery, C/S & Vaginal

Best answers
How would I code a delivery of twins (with global OB care) if the first baby was delivered as a vaginal delivery and the the second baby was born via c/s due to being in breech?

Thank you.

Twin delivery

Every insurance company has their own guidelines for how they want twin deliveries billed, so it is a good idea to look up the specific insurance policy. For a the delivery circumstance you state I would bill 59510 [C-sec global] and then 59409 [Vaginal delivery only] with either a 51 or a 59 modifier dependent upon the insurance company's preference. Even though the vaginal delivery was first and the c-section was second, you don't could in the time order of procedures but the "level" of procedures.

Again, the most important thing is to check with the insurance company, because if you don't have it "their" way, they won't pay for it anyway.

Hope this helps.

Bill the C-section 59510 (global) and vaginal 59409-59 (delivery only). Make sure you place the correct dx showing baby was breech. Some state insurances (Medicaid products) will pay for only one delivery regardless of how many babies. I would check with the insurance carrier, however most will pay for both charges.