Wiki Tumor vs Cyst

eric0057

Networker
Best answers
My provider is submitting code 21555 (Excision, tumor, soft tissue of neck or anterior thorax, subcutaneous; less than 3 cm) with dx L72.3 his note states that he excised a cyst. (see below) The pathology report also says Epidermoid inclusion cyst. My question is: Can a cyst be considered a tumor and is 21555 the correct code for its excision? I am thinking that the code should be 11403. Any thought would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Procedure: Excision chest cyst:
The skin surrounding the anterior chest was prepped and draped in the standard sterile fashion. The site was injected with 15 cc 2% Xylocaine with epinephrine.
An elliptical incision was fashioned around the cyst and it was delivered intact. It measured 2.2 cm and was consistent with a sebaceous cyst. The skin and subcutaneous tissue was undermined to create skin flaps for closure. The wound was closed with interrupted 3-0 Vicryl to the deep dermis and subcutaneous tissue with a running 4-0 Monocryl to the dermis. The site was dressed with Dermabond

Cysts and tumors are not the same thing. Frequently there are codes for both at least in orthopedics. I usually code orthopedic surgeries so this scenario is a bit outside my norm. I think code 11403 is more appropriate, plus you can include the closure, 12031, and between those two codes there are more RVU's than 21555 by itself. More RVU's equals happy provider.

Cysts and tumors are not the same thing. Frequently there are codes for both at least in orthopedics. I usually code orthopedic surgeries so this scenario is a bit outside my norm. I think code 11403 is more appropriate, plus you can include the closure, 12031, and between those two codes there are more RVU's than 21555 by itself. More RVU's equals happy provider.
Thank you so much!

The description states "consistent with" which is not a definitive diagnosis. If you have the pathology report, that would provide you the information to accurately code this case.