Wiki Trouble finding a job

aconley0004

Best answers
I have my CPC-A and I can't find a job! Noone will hire me because I don't have experience or they prefer the AHIMA certifications. Anyone else having trouble finding a job?

Look Around

The frustration you express is also shared by those with AHIMA credentials, oddly enough.

Perhaps you aren't looking in the right areas. Hospitals are an obvious choice, but also check out chiropractic offices, substance abuse treatment facilities, skilled nursing facilities, home health, academic health centers (e.g., student health), local health departments, insurance companies, work comp, etc.

With your lack of experience, it might serve you better to look into allied jobs--billing assistant, file clerk, claims clerk or something similar. There are lots of folks who must understand that certification is the initial step only. If you're near a local chapter, attend and alert the officers that you are seeking employment.

Good luck to you.

great advice

The frustration you express is also shared by those with AHIMA credentials, oddly enough.

Perhaps you aren't looking in the right areas. Hospitals are an obvious choice, but also check out chiropractic offices, substance abuse treatment facilities, skilled nursing facilities, home health, academic health centers (e.g., student health), local health departments, insurance companies, work comp, etc.

With your lack of experience, it might serve you better to look into allied jobs--billing assistant, file clerk, claims clerk or something similar. There are lots of folks who must understand that certification is the initial step only. If you're near a local chapter, attend and alert the officers that you are seeking employment.

Good luck to you.

Kevin,

You always give great advice- I totally agree with what you've said... sometimes you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.... I have been on the physician billing side for over 15 years, been certified for 5 years now and have always enjoyed the billing side, I do get to code stuff from the 10000 series because I'm in Family Practice... I recently decided I want to code e/m's and just accepted a position doing just that... It took me awhile to find out where my true nitch is and took me some time to gain employment doing just what I want. I have finally found it in E/M auditing and coding.... but it did take time.

I have been working in billing for 2 1/2 years on the A/R side, and I just received my CPC in May of this year. I too have had a hard time finding a coding position. Even though I have related experience...they still want direct coding experience. It's tough. I have been waiting for something to open up in my office, but that is not hopeful. I'm just going to keep sending out my resume until someone gives me a chance! Good luck to you as well.