Wiki Transplant status

charonate

Networker
Best answers
Suggestions, on coding autologous stem cell transplant status? I have coded as z9484, until recently I was advised by new employer that code doesn't support "autologous" but there's not exclusion for it and the include notations is not an all inclusive.
Thank you.

Hi Charonate,:)
An autologous stem cell transplant uses healthy blood stem cells from your own body to replace your diseased or damaged bone marrow. An autologous stem cell transplant is also called an autologous bone marrow transplant. Thus linked with some type of blood cancer see dx C90 - C94, but use dx Z52.01 instead of Z94. but put Cancer dx code first & Z51 if getting chemo. Check out dx Z51 blocks if getting chemotherapy too..
Well hope this data helps you (y)
Lady T

Suggestions, on coding autologous stem cell transplant status? I have coded as z9484, until recently I was advised by new employer that code doesn't support "autologous" but there's not exclusion for it and the include notations is not an all inclusive.
Thank you.
A transplanted organ or tissue is one that is received from another donor individual. Autologous stem cell use isn't really 'transplanted', it's simply removed from the patient and then replaced in the same individual. I would not consider any autologous tissue use to be a true 'transplant', and so I would agree with your employer's guidance on this.

Last edited:
Hi Charonate,:)
An autologous stem cell transplant uses healthy blood stem cells from your own body to replace your diseased or damaged bone marrow. An autologous stem cell transplant is also called an autologous bone marrow transplant. Thus linked with some type of blood cancer see dx C90 - C94, but use dx Z52.01 instead of Z94. but put Cancer dx code first & Z51 if getting chemo. Check out dx Z51 blocks if getting chemotherapy too..
Well hope this data helps you (y)
Lady T
I really appreciate it your feedback 🙂