Wiki Total Square Centimeter Skin Graft

ljhollis

Best answers
Is there a limit to the amount of centimeters that can be billed for a split thickness skin graft? I work for a plastic surgeon and he did a huge skin graft and would like to know the limits. Also is there specific wording for documentation for excessive debridement of muscle flaps prior to the muscle flap procededure or is it just necessary to state excessive debridement was necessary for preperation of the muscle flap. Any help would be great! Thank you.

Hi Lori, you could try to look up MUE for split thickness graft, but I seriously doubt if it is one of the limited CPT which is actually published for MUE.
However, on the debridement, I think I can speak. Tell your docs that just saying "excessive debridement" will never fly. (Partly because if by excessive, they mean 'a large area', they are already paid for the oversized work by documenting the dimensions of the area, and using the CPT for that size.)
Ask them to document what they did, by noting that they 'performed normal debridement removing the ...., by use of (#15 blade, etc??) ..., to a depth of ...' AND thereafter continued with extensive/additional debridement including ....., by use of .... technique, for an added period of ..... time, etc.