Wiki Total Hip Revision Help!

caromissunc1

Best answers
PLEASE SEE THE PAPER CLIP ATTACHMENT!!! IT IS THE OP NOTE FOR A TOTAL HIP REVISION!!!
I have been told that this document should be coded as a 27134 period. I am having a real problem with this. I am more inclined to code 27134, 11044 and 11981. Back when I used to scrub ortho in the OR, I have never done a straight up hip revision with 12 liters of irrigation and a chlorahexidine scrub to the implants. I realize that this is for an infection, but 12 liters is a WHOLE LOT. Also, the creation of an antibiotic methylmethacrylate patty formed to the trochanter is NOT part of a usual hip revision. I came up with 27134, 11044 and 11981. None of these are bundled with each other according to Code Correct. Help!

Attachments

• OP Note THAR.pdf
    167.8 KB · Views: 10
I am not finding where bone was debrided to support a 11044. The surgeon is being very thorough and I see this type of extensive lavage when the THA is infected, as this one is. Unfortunately, there isn't supporting documentation to support a modifier 22.

Might be an education point for the surgeon, just a suggestion. Documentation supports the 27134 and 11981 only.

Last edited: