Wiki To Use a G code or not tis the question

kengel1975

Networker
Best answers
I have just always known certain G codes to use, but when and where is the regulation listed that says when we use them and not? Say for mammos, thinprep, and any of the G codes?

Kimber Engel, CPC
Gal Friday, Coder, Auditor, etc

But the issue is that Medicare doesn't even require all of them... I'm not asking about commercial. I'm asking where the guideline from CMS is about when to use them and when not with Medicare...

But the issue is that Medicare doesn't even require all of them... I'm not asking about commercial. I'm asking where the guideline from CMS is about when to use them and when not with Medicare...

Guidelines for using Medicare codes are found on the CMS website. They have a specific section for the preventive codes and the main billing manual has guidelines for all types of services. It takes some time to look through their website, but you would be amazed at the information you can find.

Whichever company your Medicare billing goes thru also generally has all this information and they have websites as well; i.e. here in Washington State we bill Noridian for Medicare claims and their website has lots of helpful information.

Thanks. I was actually hoping someone had that link or the info handy. CMS's website is horribly not user friendly and I spend much more time than I have researching as it. Also we do our own MCR charges, not everyone uses an outsourced company. Actually most don't.

I will just look it up myself or delegate it to this person who asked. Seems that no one else truly knows either.....

Guidelines for using Medicare codes are found on the CMS website. They have a specific section for the preventive codes and the main billing manual has guidelines for all types of services. It takes some time to look through their website, but you would be amazed at the information you can find.

Whichever company your Medicare billing goes thru also generally has all this information and they have websites as well; i.e. here in Washington State we bill Noridian for Medicare claims and their website has lots of helpful information.

You meant who are MAC is, not who a clearing house is. Was unclear on that but... still a lot of hoops to go through to get simple info :(

Thanks. I was actually hoping someone had that link or the info handy. CMS's website is horribly not user friendly and I spend much more time than I have researching as it. Also we do our own MCR charges, not everyone uses an outsourced company. Actually most don't.

I will just look it up myself or delegate it to this person who asked. Seems that no one else truly knows either.....

http://www.cms.gov/manuals/downloads/clm104c18.pdf
http://www.cms.gov/manuals/Downloads/bp102c15.pdf

There is a whole section also of free webinars you can get CEUs for on the website. I found them very helpful.