Wiki TLH with mini-Laparotomy incision

scurtis7189

Contributor
Best answers
The physician started a hysterectomy with a laparoscopic approach. The uterus was over 500 grams and a mini-laparotomy incision was made to remove the specimen. The laparotomy incision was then closed and the procedure was finished as a laparoscopic hysterectomy.

What CPT code should be used in this situation?

Thank you.

The physician started a hysterectomy with a laparoscopic approach. The uterus was over 500 grams and a mini-laparotomy incision was made to remove the specimen. The laparotomy incision was then closed and the procedure was finished as a laparoscopic hysterectomy.

What CPT code should be used in this situation?

Thank you.
Hey did you ever figure this one out? I know it was from so long ago. I've just come across this for my practice

When a procedure is PERFORMED laparoscopically, it should be coded that way. An enlarged incision only to remove the specimen, without doing any part of the actual surgery through the open incision is not a conversion to open. Depending on documentation, it is possible -22 is warranted on 5857X.
If the procedure begins laparoscopically, and the physician must open the patient and PERFORM the surgery or remaining surgery via the open abdomen, it is then coded as open. Also adding the diagnosis for laparoscope converted to open. Again, depending on documentation, it is possible -22 is warranted on the open hysterectomy code.
Here were some other threads discussing:
And some other web references:

When a procedure is PERFORMED laparoscopically, it should be coded that way. An enlarged incision only to remove the specimen, without doing any part of the actual surgery through the open incision is not a conversion to open. Depending on documentation, it is possible -22 is warranted on 5857X.
If the procedure begins laparoscopically, and the physician must open the patient and PERFORM the surgery or remaining surgery via the open abdomen, it is then coded as open. Also adding the diagnosis for laparoscope converted to open. Again, depending on documentation, it is possible -22 is warranted on the open hysterectomy code.
Here were some other threads discussing:
And some other web references:
Thank you so much!!!

Hello to All,
After reading the article in AAPC magazine June 2024 " Weigh In on Hysterectomy Coding" page 36, I recalled this conversation on Mini laparotomy for removing a large organ/specimen Only. I would like to bring to your attention that there is a possible error in coding OBGYN case where the surgeon did the intended LTH but because the the 'uterus was too large to remove vaginally" MD did a mini laparotomy. The author telling us to code it as Open surgery 58150. Could you please confirm that 58150 open is incorrect code and if yes, who should we contact to? If I am wrong, then I apologize. Thank you to all of you.

"Case example: A patient with menorrhagia and an enlarged uterus (874 grams) presented for a robotic assisted total laparoscopic hysterectomy with bilateral salpingectomy. After the uterus, cervix, and bilateral fallopian tubes were amputated with electrocautery, an endo catch bag was placed through the vagina. However, the uterus was too large to remove vaginally so the decision was made to proceed with a mini laparotomy. A separate Pfannenstiel incision was made and carried down to the underlying fascia. The uterus and endo catch bag were then brought to the incision and delivered through the mini laparotomy.

For this case example, you would be correct to assign CPT® 58150 Total abdominal hysterectomy (corpus and cervix), with or without removal of tube(s), with or without removal of ovary(s), for the hysterectomy requiring a separate incision to remove the specimen. The laparoscopic procedure was converted to an open procedure; therefore, a code for the open procedure is reported. This guidance is provided within the NCCI Policy Manual, Chapter 1.

https://aapcpublishing.s3.amazonaws.com/AAPCtheMagazine/June2024/index.html?_gl=1*oe3u4j*_ga*MTQzODM3NTAwMy4xNjQ5MDk3NzI4*_ga_YCM4N7Z8H4*MTcxNjg0MDI2NS4xMzMuMS4xNzE2ODQwODk5LjM0LjAuMA

Hello to All,
After reading the article in AAPC magazine June 2024 " Weigh In on Hysterectomy Coding" page 36, I recalled this conversation on Mini laparotomy for removing a large organ/specimen Only. I would like to bring to your attention that there is a possible error in coding OBGYN case where the surgeon did the intended LTH but because the the 'uterus was too large to remove vaginally" MD did a mini laparotomy. The author telling us to code it as Open surgery 58150. Could you please confirm that 58150 open is incorrect code and if yes, who should we contact to? If I am wrong, then I apologize. Thank you to all of you.

"Case example: A patient with menorrhagia and an enlarged uterus (874 grams) presented for a robotic assisted total laparoscopic hysterectomy with bilateral salpingectomy. After the uterus, cervix, and bilateral fallopian tubes were amputated with electrocautery, an endo catch bag was placed through the vagina. However, the uterus was too large to remove vaginally so the decision was made to proceed with a mini laparotomy. A separate Pfannenstiel incision was made and carried down to the underlying fascia. The uterus and endo catch bag were then brought to the incision and delivered through the mini laparotomy.

For this case example, you would be correct to assign CPT® 58150 Total abdominal hysterectomy (corpus and cervix), with or without removal of tube(s), with or without removal of ovary(s), for the hysterectomy requiring a separate incision to remove the specimen. The laparoscopic procedure was converted to an open procedure; therefore, a code for the open procedure is reported. This guidance is provided within the NCCI Policy Manual, Chapter 1.

https://aapcpublishing.s3.amazonaws.com/AAPCtheMagazine/June2024/index.html?_gl=1*oe3u4j*_ga*MTQzODM3NTAwMy4xNjQ5MDk3NzI4*_ga_YCM4N7Z8H4*MTcxNjg0MDI2NS4xMzMuMS4xNzE2ODQwODk5LjM0LjAuMA
I did not read the magazine and just looked at that article now. I (like @Cmama12 ) disagree with the author on that example given. I do agree that if a laparoscopic procedure is converted to open that you code the open procedure. I do NOT agree that an incision only to remove a large specimen is a conversion to open. Writing an email right now!!

I did not read the magazine and just looked at that article now. I (like @Cmama12 ) disagree with the author on that example given. I do agree that if a laparoscopic procedure is converted to open that you code the open procedure. I do NOT agree that an incision only to remove a large specimen is a conversion to open. Writing an email right now!!
I don't have access to this article and don't know who wrote it, but you are correct if this was what they said, it is incorrect information. I will contact my AAPC contact offline and report on this.

Hello to All,

I have in fact commented to AAPC staff regarding this coding advice. The greater than 250 mg vaginal hysterectomy codes include additional work required to get the larger uterus out. In the past this was done via morcellation which has come into disrepute due to possible issue if the uterus was not benign and now many surgeons are switching to taking it out via a mini laparotomy - this work is already accounted for in the vaginal hysterectomy codes for greater than 250 mg and so the coding should not change just because the uterus is not cut up into small pieces so it can be extracted vaginally. I remember having this conversation with a member of ACOG's coding committee a few years ago and that was his opinion also.

Hello to All,

I did receive a response from AAPC regarding the advice in this article. They specifically referenced AHA Coding Clinic for HCPCS, 4th quarter 2019.
AHA Coding Clinic advised if a port incision is enlarged to remove a larger specimen, that is coded as laparoscopic, but if a separate incision is made, it is then considered converted to open and coded as open. I certainly agree with the first portion, that enlarging a port/trocar incision is coded as laparoscopic. However, it is MY OPINION if a separate incision is made ONLY to remove the specimen (NO surgery done through the open incision), I would still consider that a laparoscopic surgery. If there was any surgery done through that open incision, I would then consider that conversion to open and code as open.
That being said, I cannot recall seeing a case where the surgeon made a separate incision. I looked over about a year of cases for 4 surgeons where several times a port/trocar incision was enlarged, but did not find a single occurrence of a separate incision.
I now understand why the article gives the advice they do, even if I'm still not convinced. I would also add without the separate incision specification, it is very easy to misinterpret that any mini-laparotomy is coded as open, which is definitely not the AHA Coding Clinic advice.

I did receive a response from AAPC regarding the advice in this article. They specifically referenced AHA Coding Clinic for HCPCS, 4th quarter 2019.
AHA Coding Clinic advised if a port incision is enlarged to remove a larger specimen, that is coded as laparoscopic, but if a separate incision is made, it is then considered converted to open and coded as open. I certainly agree with the first portion, that enlarging a port/trocar incision is coded as laparoscopic. However, it is MY OPINION if a separate incision is made ONLY to remove the specimen (NO surgery done through the open incision), I would still consider that a laparoscopic surgery. If there was any surgery done through that open incision, I would then consider that conversion to open and code as open.
That being said, I cannot recall seeing a case where the surgeon made a separate incision. I looked over about a year of cases for 4 surgeons where several times a port/trocar incision was enlarged, but did not find a single occurrence of a separate incision.
I now understand why the article gives the advice they do, even if I'm still not convinced. I would also add without the separate incision specification, it is very easy to misinterpret that any mini-laparotomy is coded as open, which is definitely not the AHA Coding Clinic advice.
thanks so much!

And I agree with your take. And you will also notice that if you followed that advice (reporting 58150) the surgeon will get paid LESS for doing more work.