Wiki tka conversion

samyjm13

Guru
Best answers
I need help on this one. Provider is doing a conversion "to" a TKA with removal of the unicompartment, there is no code for a conversion of this type. Would one use a 27447-22 or 27487-52, both have been suggested. I need some direction here.

Thanks everyone
Jeanne

Your code would be a 27487. This includes the removal of the unicompartmental components. This is considered a revision because you are revising a femoral as well as a tibial component. I have used this code when I have coded these exact procedures. Have a great day!

Your code would be a 27487. This includes the removal of the unicompartmental components. This is considered a revision because you are revising a femoral as well as a tibial component. I have used this code when I have coded these exact procedures. Have a great day!
Have you had denials with medicare on this particular revision code with the 52modifier?

Have you had denials with medicare on this particular revision code with the 52modifier?
The only denials I have seen from Medicare on 27487.52 were requests for documentation ("lacks info"). I have had the best luck submitting the claim online using their claim submission feature and attaching the operative report (with a concise statement highlighted) and a copy of the claim. The turnaround time is much faster that way.

I code for a doctor who specializes in joint replacements and revisions so I see these procedures a lot.