Wiki tips or advice?

jenmagee

New
Best answers
I interviewed for a ped onc office and I reallly want the job. My daughter passed 2 yrs ago and I know how important it is for things to be paid and done right when your child is sick.. extra money for 'simple mistakes' are just not there.. anyway..I have been certified and coded family practice/internal med for 5 yrs and HCC coding for the last 2.5.. I really want to make a switch and specialize. I realize just getting in there and doing it is really the best way to learn,but was curious if there were any tips or advice from those already coding it. Are there any good sites or articles available online? even if it seems silly or obvious, I very much appreciate it! I am suppose to meet with the doctors this week and wanted to do my homework first!
thanks in advance!

I interviewed for a ped onc office and I reallly want the job. My daughter passed 2 yrs ago and I know how important it is for things to be paid and done right when your child is sick.. extra money for 'simple mistakes' are just not there.. anyway..I have been certified and coded family practice/internal med for 5 yrs and HCC coding for the last 2.5.. I really want to make a switch and specialize. I realize just getting in there and doing it is really the best way to learn,but was curious if there were any tips or advice from those already coding it. Are there any good sites or articles available online? even if it seems silly or obvious, I very much appreciate it! I am suppose to meet with the doctors this week and wanted to do my homework first!
thanks in advance!

Hi there:

So sorry to hear about your daughter but I think you're doing a great thing by wanting to get into this type of coding. I believe Ingenix , AMA and Contexo Media has some books relating to Oncology coding, not sure if it's specific to Ped Oncology but worth a try. I would do a search for onocology terms etc... thats what i did when I went to code Hem/Oncology, I no longer code Oncology but did enjoy it although it was tough to swallow... I do believe I learned alot, you can also check on the Cancer sites for other inforamation as well.

Best of luck to you.

I know this is late and I hope the interview went well. You are wonderful for wanting to work with ped onc, it takes a very special person to be able to do it. I work with adult onc and emotionally thats tough enough, I'm not sure I would have what it takes to do peds.