Wiki time with parents

eafaoro1

Networker
Best answers
Can we bill on time based on this example: Parents come in to discuss child with physician because school has concerns. Child is not present at the discussion or evaluated by the physician. Documentation starts with consult with parents greater than 45 minutes. Most of the discussion was regarding ADHD concern, anxiety, not as engaged with other children, diet, sleep habits, potty trained, and PDD spectrum. The note is abut 1/2 page. :confused:

Can we bill on time based on this example: Parents come in to discuss child with physician because school has concerns. Child is not present at the discussion or evaluated by the physician. Documentation starts with consult with parents greater than 45 minutes. Most of the discussion was regarding ADHD concern, anxiety, not as engaged with other children, diet, sleep habits, potty trained, and PDD spectrum. The note is abut 1/2 page. :confused:

As long as the provider documents the length of the visit, the time spent in face-to-face counseling and coordination of care (and that time is greater than 50% of the total visit time), and a brief summary of the counseling, total visit time can be used to determine the E/M level of service.

Typical E/M time descriptors in CPT include the verbage, "Physicians typically spent XX minutes face-to-face with the patient and/OR FAMILY" (my caps), so I think that covers visits without the patient present.

Hope this helps!

I agree with jettman... couldn't have said it better myself. The "Face to Face" and "Or Family" is what's key here. Just make sure your doc is marking how long he spends in the room.