Wiki Time Vs medical decision making

Best answers
Hi
I just wonder if we can override the time on the office visit note? Example: an establish patient spend total of 25 minutes support code is 99213, however, based on MDM, patient has 2 stable chronic illnesses and prescription drug was sent support code is 9914. Should will bill 99214 instead?

Hi
I just wonder if we can override the time on the office visit note? Example: an establish patient spend total of 25 minutes support code is 99213, however, based on MDM, patient has 2 stable chronic illnesses and prescription drug was sent support code is 9914. Should will bill 99214 instead?

You're not required to use time - you can choose your level based on MDM or time.

Do you have a CPT book? The information is listed in the E/M chapter.

Also, here's a link to the AMA's information about the 2021 E/M changes:

On page 8, you'll see the following text:

Instructions for Selecting a Level of Office or Other Outpatient E/M Services

Select the appropriate level of E/M services based on the following:

1. The level of the MDM as defined for each service, OR
2. The total time for E/M services performed on the date of the encounter

Hi
You can bill either for time or MDM. I tell my providers that time is the backup plan - mainly for level 5 visits - to cement the code if the diagnosis or MDM isn't strong enough to warrant the code.