Wiki Time or MDM

Best answers
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if the MD documents the time if you HAVE to go by that time. We have a visit we can code with a 99233 going by MDM, but MD documented the time to be 43 minutes, which would be a 99232. Could we choose to bill the 99233 since the documentation reflects the higher code?

You can choose based on MDM or Time, and you are allowed to choose whichever benefits the provider the most.

per Noridian (emphasis added by me):
  • Providers may choose E/M visit level based on either medical decision making or total time
    • May determine most advantageous level on an encounter to encounter basis

Thank you, this is very helpful.

I have a follow up question,

What if we have a visit with low MDM, but MD documented the time spent as 35 or 50 minutes.
Does that qualify to code it higher as 99232 or 99233?

Fully agree with lgardner. Regardless if the provider documents time, if documentation supports a higher level with MDM, you can code the higher code.

I agree with the advice, I would just caution, if every note has time in it and the provider is routinely stating a time much lower than the code level by MDM it "could" cause issues. I would just leave the time out unless the provider wanted to code by time. It's just not a great practice (in my opinion) to list the time in every single note unless the E/M is being chosen by it. Basically, if coding by time list that, if not leave it out.

I get that experienced providers may be quicker and the MDM could be high even if it doesn't take long, I am just pointing it out from an auditing perspective.
Providers also have to be careful of impossible time where the total schedule or hours worked per day doesn't align with the total time documented for patients that day.

How do I know which method (MDM or total time) to use to select the level of visit?

There’s no specific guidance to determine which method to use. You should use the method that most appropriately captures the work performed during the encounter. For example, for an encounter during which the patient had many questions and the level of MDM was lower, it may make more sense to select the level of service using time. Conversely, if an encounter was brief but required a higher level of MDM, it may be appropriate to select the level of service using MDM. Whichever method you use, include sufficient documentation to justify the level of service billed. Additionally, document based only on the method you used; do not document both time and MDM for the same encounter, because this could confuse auditors.

"Don’t use time spent to support every single E/M visit. This may be controversial, or even unwelcome advice for some physicians, but I continue to take the view that providers should code a visit based on time only when that visit is taking longer than usual, whether due to counseling, coordination of care, preparing for the visit by finding and reviewing old records, or some other reason provided for in the CPT guidelines. With good documentation, the MDM will support a higher level of service without needing to count time. Indeed, to begin documenting time on each visit poses its own level of risk, especially if the practice also uses non-physician practitioners (NPP) and incident-to billing."

Thank you, Amy, for taking time to give a detailed response.

I have noted down all the key points, and the links are super helpful to share it with the providers.

One of our providers asked me the same exact question when I was updating her on the 2023 E/M changes and "TIME" factor.

"An encounter during which the patient had many questions, and the level of MDM was lower, it may make more sense to select the level of service using time" - I did confirm her yes, she can and now I can assure her, with more confidence :).