Wiki Time Guidelines

luvbuix

Networker
Best answers
does anyone know of a reference that talks about stating specific time spent on EACH pt? i have a MD that has set up her templates according to time & all her time statements are canned. so- for all new pts her time statement is 60 mins, all her established pts are for 40 mins. i'm trying to get her to be more specific on each pt but want to show her something in writing- any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

We use a template which contains guidelines suggestions like: 30 minutes total time spent: reviewing prior office notes, gathering history and performing exam, educating and counseling patients/caregivers, documenting and other duties from CPT book. (This is just a partial list)
You can find much better details on the list on E/M guidelines for TIME in CPT by AMA page 8. We use different templates for different time spans and whether pt is new or established.

This to me is common sense. You don't put things in the medical record that are not accurate.
While templates can be a huge timesaver, clinicians MUST spend the extra 30 seconds to add/delete/modify the specific patient's record.
Don't forget that for outpatient E/M starting 1/1/21, it's total clinician time that day, not just face to face time.

i know all of the above already- what i need is a reference that says you need to customize your time for EACH pt