Wiki time frame for fracture codes

kumeena

True Blue
Best answers
Good afternoon everyone,

Is there any coding guidelines (time frame) for fracture codes? Patient comes to clinic after 2 or 3 months. Still physcicians are using 8XX codes . My manager showed me some state audit report saying that all 8XX codes required E codes. As for as I know you can use the E code only the day of accident/ first visit to ER or physician's office .

Should I use E codes for follow up visits along with fracture codes.

I would like to get your opinions.

Thank you

You may only use the 8XX codes during the acute phase of the fracture (the first encounter).
Every encounter thereafter shoud use a V54.XX to show the healing phase of the fracture.
No E codes are required with the V codes.

I agree with Centko. We bill them for the inital encounter then use the aftercare V54.XX codes for visits after that. I would not bill the E code for follow up visits. :)

Kelsey, CPC

Good afternoon everyone,

Is there any coding guidelines (time frame) for fracture codes? Patient comes to clinic after 2 or 3 months. Still physcicians are using 8XX codes . My manager showed me some state audit report saying that all 8XX codes required E codes. As for as I know you can use the E code only the day of accident/ first visit to ER or physician's office .

Should I use E codes for follow up visits along with fracture codes.

I would like to get your opinions.

Thank you

E codes are not required, you do not need to use it unless payor requires you to use it. However if you want to use E codes, then you need to use them only on first encounter with injury code. Follow-up fisits would be coded from V54.xx category. Our office does not use E codes at all and we are orthopaedic office.