Wiki Tibia Fx during knee replacement

Best answers
Please help,

Dr. Fractured patients Tibia during knee replacement.

Coded as:

27447 - 715.16
27535.51 - 823.00 (I think this is wrong since the doctor is the one who fx the tib)

Does anyone know what you would code for the fx Dx?

First, you cannot and should not bill for a repair as a result of a surgeon "causing" the injury during a surgical session. The trauma was due to an accident during surgery. It's not unusual to fracture the bone when you are doing a TKA, they're hammering metal into the bone causing stress.

Second, these two codes bundle per NCCI edits and it is inappropriate to append with a modifier 59 as they are on the same bone as the 27447.

27447 27535 19960101 * 1

Third, you would have to use a "Misadventure" E-code as your 2nd Dx code for the 27535 and this will alert the insurance company that something was amiss.

Last edited:
First, you cannot and should not bill for a repair as a result of a surgeon "causing" the injury during a surgical session. The trauma was due to an accident during surgery. It's not unusual to fracture the bone when you are doing a TKA, they're hammering metal into the bone causing stress.

Second, these two codes bundle per NCCI edits and it is inappropriate to append with a modifier 59 as they are on the same bone as the 27447.

27447 27535 19960101 * 1

Third, you would have to use a "Misadventure" E-code as your 2nd Dx code for the 27535 and this will alert the insurance company that something was amiss.

I agree - you caused it you fix it. For FREE.

Thank you! I am a bit new to ortho and thought it was odd that he would charge for that. Now I know how to approach the doc. Thank you.