Wiki Thermal ablation

Best answers
I need help! I am new to Spine coding. My Physician and I have completely different thoughts on these codes.

Can someone please tell me how you would code this procedure?

L2-S1 bilateral lumbar facet capsulotomy/transection of accessory spinal nerve with thermal coagulation

C-arm fluoroscopy was brought into the field to identify the lumbosacral facet joints. We then used a 22-gauge needle to infiltrate 1% lidocaine in the deep dermal tissue bilaterally overlying the facet joints L2-S1 and then advanced an 18-gauge spinal needle to the centroid of the left L2-3 facet joint. This was an insulated needle. We then remove the inner stylette and inserted the laser fiber and proceeded to coagulate to a total of 200 J. We then remove the needle and repeated this on the left at L3-4 L4-5 and L5-S1, then again on the right at L2-3 L3-4 L4-5 and L5-S1.

At this point, we took a 20-gauge needle and took a more lateral to medial trajectory, targeting the L5 transverse process. Once we had the transverse process we walked it medially to the inferior articular process of L4-5, which is the lateral part of the facet joint at L5 and walked it off of Camden's triangle until we lost resistance. We then infiltrated a mixture of the half percent Marcaine with 40 mg/mL of Kenalog into the exiting L4 nerve root. We then repeated this procedure on the left at L5-S1.

I need help! I am new to Spine coding. My Physician and I have completely different thoughts on these codes.

Can someone please tell me how you would code this procedure?

L2-S1 bilateral lumbar facet capsulotomy/transection of accessory spinal nerve with thermal coagulation

C-arm fluoroscopy was brought into the field to identify the lumbosacral facet joints. We then used a 22-gauge needle to infiltrate 1% lidocaine in the deep dermal tissue bilaterally overlying the facet joints L2-S1 and then advanced an 18-gauge spinal needle to the centroid of the left L2-3 facet joint. This was an insulated needle. We then remove the inner stylette and inserted the laser fiber and proceeded to coagulate to a total of 200 J. We then remove the needle and repeated this on the left at L3-4 L4-5 and L5-S1, then again on the right at L2-3 L3-4 L4-5 and L5-S1.

At this point, we took a 20-gauge needle and took a more lateral to medial trajectory, targeting the L5 transverse process. Once we had the transverse process we walked it medially to the inferior articular process of L4-5, which is the lateral part of the facet joint at L5 and walked it off of Camden's triangle until we lost resistance. We then infiltrated a mixture of the half percent Marcaine with 40 mg/mL of Kenalog into the exiting L4 nerve root. We then repeated this procedure on the left at L5-S1.

I'm thinking this should be CPT code 64635-50 (Destruction by neurolytic agent, paravertebral facet joint nerve(s) with imaging guidance (fluoroscopy or CT); lumbar or sacral, single facet joint and 64636-50 for each additional joint. The coder's desk reference states this code is used when the affected lumbar or sacral spinal nerve is destroyed using chemical, thermal, electrical, or radiofrequency techniques. I believe the use of the laser fiber for thermal coagulation of the spinal nerve would fit into this category.

Additionally, CPT Assistant (Feb. 2015) states, Injection of any contrast, steroid or local anesthetic agent is included

Last edited: