Wiki The true defination of "Seperate Procedure"

Best answers
One of my providers coded a removal impacted cerumen (69210) with an office visit (99213). The 69210 states that it's a seperate procedure. Can I still code out the office visit wih the 69210 and what is the definition of seperate procedure?

Spell Check -

One of my providers coded a removal impacted cerumen (69210) with an office visit (99213). The 69210 states that it's a seperate procedure. Can I still code out the office visit wih the 69210 and what is the definition of seperate procedure?

Please use spell check -- part of being professional is first presenting a professional image -- "separate" procedure and "definition." You spelled definition correctly once, but didn't spell it the same in the title of your post.

We don't want anyone to think our certification is an easy one to obtain or maintain. thanks -Nancy

Last edited:
Please use spell check -- part of being professional is first presenting a professional image -- "separate" procedure and "definition." You spelled definition correctly once, but didn't spell it the same in the title of your post.

We don't want anyone to think our certification is an easy one to obtain or maintain. thanks -Nancy

Do you really feel is important to nit pick every incorrect spelling of separate from the AAPC forum from the last decade? Busybodies who waste their time picking out spelling mistakes are much worse than those who make the mistakes. You exactly knew what they meant.

Spelling? Really?

Coding King, I'm definitely with you on this one, although I'm not sure if I spelled definitely correctly so I may be in for criticism.

Nancy, remarks like yours discourage people from posting valid questions because they're afraid that nit pickers like you will essentially make fun of them.

I have a doctoral level degree and make spelling mistakes all the time.

Next thing we'll see is you correcting punctuation errors. Lighten up. Life is too short for this type of BS.

Tom Cheezum, O.D., CPC

In answer to your question. To me, if the patient came in specifically for the removal or the cerumen, you should probably only code for that procedure and not code the 99213.

If the patient came in for an office visit for a different problem or check up and the cerumen accumulation was noted and the doctor decided to remove that while the patient was there, that would constitute a separate procedure and you could code the E/M visit with a 25 modifier and also code the procedure code.

Tom Cheezum, O.D., CPC