Wiki TFESI/FACET Different Level, Different Side - have documentation

kshulund

New
Best answers
When coding Right L3-4 TFESI with a Left L5-S1 TFESI would you use 64483-RT, 64484-LT -OR- 64483-RT, 64483-LT?

Same with facets, if it is opposite side and different level - how would you code it? Does anyone have documentation how this should be done by medicare standards?

Thanks!

since it doesn't say it has to be on the same side, I would use the first option, initial then add-on. It only says first level, then each additional, which I read as "it doesn't matter which side it's on, if they are different levels you code them as such". make sense?

I have been using the 64483-RT, 64484-LT. Medicare is now asking for their money back - stating incorrect coding. I'm trying to fight it - cpt 64484 states "additional level" nothing states additional level per side??? Not really sure how to go about this. ugh!

Wow that is odd. I wonder how they want you to bill it? You cant do bilateral because it's not, and if you try to bill initial levels with LT/RT I bet they would deny it citing "wrong modifier". Personally I think you're right, I just dont know how to support it with documentation. Anybody else have anything that can support this?