Wiki Text Messages

cduthie

New
Best answers
Can the Telephone Services codes be used for texting with a patient? (i.e. diabetics texting download of blood sugar and provider reviewing/responding)

Have you looked at 99444 (MD) and 98969 (non-MD)? You will have to decide if either is appropriate for what was done.

MCare shows both these on the fee schedule as status code "N" so no payment from MCare. Dont know about other payers

99444----Online assessment and evaluation by a physician to an established patient,
guardian, or health care provider not originating from a related E/M service provided
within the previous seven days, using the Internet or similar electronic communication
network.

98969--- Online assessment and service provided by a qualified non-physician health care
professional to an established patient, guardian, or health care provider not originating
from a related assessment and management service provided within the previous seven
days, using the Internet or similar electronic communications network.

Yes, the telephone codes are the ones I'm referring to but my question is whether or not "texting" information back and forth with a patient qualifies to use those codes. Is anyone billing for this or providing "texting" services?