Wiki Texas Medicaid - not sure if this is posted in the correct forum

tmarugg

Best answers
I work in a Neurosurgery office located in Texas. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post my question, so I apologize in advance if it's not. We have the following situation with a patient but our provider representative has offered us no guidance as to what we should do.

Patient is initially seen in the office January 2016 as a self-pay patient. Has surgery in March 2016, still self-pay. Makes consistent payments from January 2016 until April 2017. Then in January 2018 presents our office with a letter dated December 1, 2017 from TMHP (Texas Medicaid) with the following information:
1) Date of certificate - December 1, 2017
2) Date coverage began - March 1, 2016
3) Date coverage ended - November 30, 2017

When I checked eligibility online it showed an add-date of 11/21/2017. Since I'm very familiar with Texas Medicaid billing guidelines, I knew we had 95 days from the add-date to submit a claim. So I did so. Within a couple of days it failed clearinghouse edits stating "REJECTED AND NOT ENTERED INTO THE ADJUDICATION SYSTEM DATES OF SERVICE OVER ONE YEAR FROM PROCESS DATE ARE NOT PAYABLE". So I submitted a hardcopy claim and it denied for the same reason. I submitted an appeal because there was no way we could have submitted the claim within either the 95 day deadline or the 24 month payment deadline. His eligibility was more than 1 year from the date of service. I have submitted an administrative appeal and the denial has been upheld.

Can the patient still be liable for the balance? I know in every instance as providers we are told if the patient has Medicaid we cannot bill them. But in this case, there was no way we could ever meet any deadline set forth by TMHP. In all my years of billing I cannot recall ever seeing a patient's eligibility go back more than 1 year.

Any input or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Tammy Marugg, CPC

Texas Medicaid

Hello Tammy,
I have worked with TX Medicaid in the past so I understand your frustration. If you have not already done so, and you probably have, look at claims filing in the Texas Medicaid Manual and then section 7 Appeals. With your documentation of retro notification from the patient and denials from TMHP, even though you filed within the add-date deadline, you might want to look at making your final appeal directly to HHSC(TX Health & Human Service Commission). You certainly lose nothing by trying because you cannot bill the patient unless you had a signed waiver in his/her file. The cash the patient has already paid may have to be refunded too since he was given Medicaid coverage for those dates of service. Good luck. I would be interested in knowing if you win this one.
K.Bready

Hello Tammy,
I have worked with TX Medicaid in the past so I understand your frustration. If you have not already done so, and you probably have, look at claims filing in the Texas Medicaid Manual and then section 7 Appeals. With your documentation of retro notification from the patient and denials from TMHP, even though you filed within the add-date deadline, you might want to look at making your final appeal directly to HHSC(TX Health & Human Service Commission). You certainly lose nothing by trying because you cannot bill the patient unless you had a signed waiver in his/her file. The cash the patient has already paid may have to be refunded too since he was given Medicaid coverage for those dates of service. Good luck. I would be interested in knowing if you win this one.
K.Bready

I did an administrative appeal to HHSC and they upheld the denial even with proof.