Wiki Temp Pacer/Cath

EmilyDingee

Best answers
Hello Al,

I have been bundling the temp pacer in with PCI codes but it is bundled in the cath codes too? I recieved a denial for 33210-59 inclusive to 93458-26. Is this correct?

Thank you!

I have been told by cardiac consultants that it is a billable procedure as long as it is not implanted as a preventative measure. For example, if patient becomes bradycardic at time of cath and temp pacer is placed, that is a billable code along with cath or intervention. However some docs insert them as protocol even though its is not used and thats when it is not billable....the key is the doc must state in his / her note why the temp pacer implanted so medical necessity is easier defined.

hope this helps...

Louise :)

Per NCCI edits these codes are mutually exclusive and they cannot be billed together under any circumstances since unbundling is not allowed. We have never been reimbursed for 33210 with a heart cath even with -59.

I just looked it up and that surprises me. Not only have I gotten paid for the service, but I have been told by a prominent cardiology consultant that this was allowed. Interesting.....