Wiki Telehealth visit

hanihosni

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

If a telehealth visit is converted to an audio-only visit due to technical difficulties with the video component, can it still be billed as a phone visit even though the patient didn't initiate it ?

hello, i am not an expert but here are my thoughts:
1. if the majority of the e/m service was done by video, i code as video per our team instructions.
2. if tele visit failed at the beginning, i am assuming MD communicates with pt that 'let's do it via phone", then Md should've documented that pt agreed via phone and then i would code it as phone e/m. I think in your case , md just needs to document that statement that he forgot.
3. MD must also document the time in minutes spent on the service. 99441-99443

I just found an example: ""I performed this evaluation using real-time telehealth tools, including a live video Zoom connection between my location and the patient's location. Prior to initiating, the patient consented to perform this evaluation using telehealth tools.

Failed Integrated Video Connection:
Due to failed integrated video connection, I obtained consent from the patient to conduct a non-integrated video visit." + Time statement.

Last edited:
hello, i am not an expert but here are my thoughts:
1. if the majority of the e/m service was done by video, i code as video per our team instructions.
2. if tele visit failed at the beginning, i am assuming MD communicates with pt that 'let's do it via phone", then Md should've documented that pt agreed via phone and then i would code it as phone e/m. I think in your case , md just needs to document that statement that he forgot.
3. MD must also document the time in minutes spent on the service. 99441-99443

I just found an example: ""I performed this evaluation using real-time telehealth tools, including a live video Zoom connection between my location and the patient's location. Prior to initiating, the patient consented to perform this evaluation using telehealth tools.

Failed Integrated Video Connection:
Due to failed integrated video connection, I obtained consent from the patient to conduct a non-integrated video visit." + Time statement.
I agree and I code video telehealth only. Do you have any links or advice for me on this question. My employer requests that for audio (telephone phone calls) that our providers document the reason why face to face video (video) was not utilized. I have a new provider questioning this and if it is an actual guideline. I cannot find guidelines anywhere, can you offer me some help please?