Wiki Tee dx for pfo

gnp001

Networker
Best answers
I'm really hoping someone more experience in Cardiology can help me. I'm fairly new and have managed pretty well but this has me stumped.

My physician did a TEE to see if the patient's PFO was still open but I have no idea how to code the PFO and if it's even payable.

Any and all help is much appreciated. I've spent quite a bit of time looking but I'm not sure I understand exactly what I'm looking for. I went to the physician and he really couldn't help me much.

Many thanks to everyone!
:confused:

I'm really hoping someone more experience in Cardiology can help me. I'm fairly new and have managed pretty well but this has me stumped.

My physician did a TEE to see if the patient's PFO was still open but I have no idea how to code the PFO and if it's even payable.

Any and all help is much appreciated. I've spent quite a bit of time looking but I'm not sure I understand exactly what I'm looking for. I went to the physician and he really couldn't help me much.

Many thanks to everyone!
:confused:

Most of the time we use 745.5 for our PFOs unless it is ventrical defect being corrected. 745.5 can be used for a Patent or persistent foramen ovale/atrial.

No we do not use the congenital echo code with PFO's. Per CPT instructions a PFO is non-congenital. If a tee was done for ASD then you would use the congential echo/htc codes. If it is done for a PFO then you use the non-congenital CPT codes.

Misty Sebert, CPC, CCC
Spokane Cardiology Providence Heart Institute