Wiki Technical component question

MnTwins29

True Blue
Best answers
A pediatric cardiologist performs fetal EKGs at our hospital and bills for the professional component since he reads and interprets them. However, the hospital does not have a technician in place to run this equipment, so the physician also performs these tasks. Can the hospital still bill for the technical component and then has to reimburse the physician for that portion of the payment? Does he have to become part of the medical staff and all of the steps that credentialing entails? Or is there another way to address this?

Thank you

I have a doctor who hauls his EMG machine to a children's hospital and does all the work himself, billing as whole component with POS as the hospital. We finally wound up creating a contract with the hospital due to the billing issues as the hospital thought it was fine to bill TC for our equipment and our doctor was getting short changed.
Are you sure the pedi cardiologist is not billing whole component? This seems to be the simplest option as the facility is getting paid on other services.

I would have to look into that question. I work for the hospital, not the physician, and the question was raised to me by our legal services department. I will also ask about the equipment - I was not told if it was the hospital's or not, so I was assuming that it was. Also, I was curious about your last statement that the hospital will be getting paid "on other services". Is that because they (the hospital) will bill for the procedure and get paid the tech portion anyway?

Last edited: