Wiki TC and PC Modifiers

DocAssist

Best answers
Having a confused moment.... Dr X writes an order and sends his patient John to ABC Clinic to have a CT done. ABC Clinic is just a large multi provider office that happens to perform CT's for their own patients. The CT is performed and the ABC clinic owns the equipment so they bill the TC portion. The CT is then read by an outside Radiologist and he bills the PC. My question is...when the TC is billed, what Doctor is it attached to? The patient that received the CT is not a patient at our clinic, his doctor that is also not affiliated with our clinic as just sent him here to get a CT. Does the clinic have to have some sort of special certification in order to bill for this type of service where it is billed as a supplier of service and not as a providers office?

I welcome all brain sharing :)

TC = Technical Component as in not interpreting the resultant record.
PC = Professional Component is reading and interpreting the resultant record.

As for location or who they are tied to I have no experience.

Whoever owns the equipment bills the TC. Whoever reads/interprets/reviews and writes the report of the imaging bills the PC. The radiologist may work for the facility so the whole component can be billed, or the radiologist may be a separate entity.

Ct scans

We own a ct scanner and provide the technical service to outside mds. We bill only the tc portion and the radiologist who reads the scan bills for the pc portion. This is pretty much what most of the replys state
suzanne