Wiki Taking Coding to a Higher Standard?

mcrcmmath

New
Best answers
Title: Colorectal Surgery - Butt ... How Should I Code That?
Date: Sept. 1, 2010
Time: 1:00 PM EST
CEUs: Up to 2 CEUs (with post-exercise)
Price: $99.95
Skill Level: Intermediate

Does anyone else feel that the title of this webinar is unprofessional? I would expect this type of "potty humor" from a group of middle school students, but not from a professional organization with the goal of lending credibility to the coding profession.

I have an excellent sense of humor, but really just don't think this is funny. It detracts from what is probably an excellent educational opportunity, and likely diminishes the AAPC in the eyes of some.

Colleen Mathias, CPC, CMPE
Practice Administrator

I think it is harmless and hardly "potty humor"

Our local chapter is having a meeting entitled:

"Is mental health driving you crazy?"

Is that unprofessional? No, it is light hearted and fun.

I personally think you guys are being a little over sensitive. And I realize that the original poster was offended by it, but couldn't you have just sent a message to AAPC instead of posting it here? was that very professional?

I don't know, maybe I am the only one that feels that way

Any 'joke' that trivializes or pokes fun at any illness, no matter what the intent, is in poor taste and very unprofessional. Sometimes I wonder about who thinks this stuff up...and who OKs it for national marketing.

I don't need a catchy title to interest me in any of the workshops....keep it simple, and tell me what the course involves, without the clever title. Leave the creative marketing to the Geico people.

I also don't believe it's ever appropriate to make fun of any kind of mental illness. "Crazy" is a word that is offensive to psychologists and psychiatrists, but maybe it's acceptable in some circles. As professionals, we should be mindful of how our 'lighthearted, fun' approach might offend others who are personally affected by any disease.

Just my two cents.

I'm not seeing what the big to do is. The word "butt" is really that offensive to you guys? I don't find the title to be catchy or clever but I don't really see it as poking fun at people with an illness either. I'm more offended by "up to 2 CEUs" costing a hundred dollars!

Well Said Colleen!

I totally agree with Colleen, not that the verbage is necessarily offensive in itself, but used as advertising it discredits the organization and is in very poor taste and it is not the slightest bit clever.

K.V., BSN, MA, RN, CPC

This is not "light hearted" nor "fun"

Your idea of "lighthearted and fun" seems inappropriate at the very least. My idea of "lighthearted and fun" is significantly different and does not imply that there is levity in mental health or other health related issues. Our chapter locally would not word the title of a seminar in such a manner.

This is a professional organization and we must realize that the public consumer is watching at all times. Further if I, as an insider, find it offensive then we can assume a large contingent of the general population may as well. Fraternity house humor has no place here.

Incidentally this IS an area where members may and should post queries, opinions and questions.

LSMFT

I think it is harmless and hardly "potty humor"

Our local chapter is having a meeting entitled:

"Is mental health driving you crazy?"

Is that unprofessional? No, it is light hearted and fun.

I personally think you guys are being a little over sensitive. And I realize that the original poster was offended by it, but couldn't you have just sent a message to AAPC instead of posting it here? was that very professional?

I don't know, maybe I am the only one that feels that way

Kimberlina25, the purpose of this forum is to discuss exactly these matters. As a paying member of the AAPC, and our practice pays for 10 employee memberships, I have every right to my opinion, and to discuss my opinion publicly. I did also call the AAPC and lodge a complaint.

In any event, my post was effective, because it brought to light that many did not support the title of the webinar, and as a result, it was changed. The new title is "Colorectal Surgery".

Colleen Mathias, CPC, CMPE
Practice Adminstrator

Last edited: