Wiki T1DM and V58.67

From the ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines:

Diabetes mellitus and the use of insulin
All type I diabetics must use insulin to replace what their bodies do not produce. However, the use of insulin does not mean that a patient is a type I diabetic. Some patients with type II diabetes mellitus are unable to control their blood sugar through diet and oral medication alone and do require insulin. If the documentation in a medical record does not indicate the type of diabetes but does indicate that the patient uses insulin, the appropriate fifth-digit for type II must be used. For type II patients who routinely use insulin, code V58.67, Long-term (current) use of insulin, should also be assigned to indicate that the patient uses insulin. Code V58.67 should not be assigned if insulin is given temporarily to bring a type II patient's blood sugar under control during an encounter.

My interpretation... V58.67 should be used with the code for type II diabeties if the patient routinely uses insulin. The code is not necessary for type I diabetics, because all type I diabetics require insulin.