Wiki Switching from med/surg to BHU

MnTwins29

True Blue
Best answers
Our hospitalists will often be called to our BHU to evaluate the medical condition of patients there. If a patient is admitted to the BHU, later is transferred to med/surg to be treated for a medical condition and then back to BHU after the medical condition is stable, these are treated as separate admissions. So in this scenario, this would be three separate admissions in the EHR and for billing.

Where we have an issue with the hospitalists is this third admission back to the BHU. If the BHU admitting physician requests for the hospitalist to evaluate the patient, these are being coded as new patient visits (or consults for the few payers that still recognize these.) I maintain these should be subsequent visits as the hospitalist is familiar with the patient's condition and the admission/discharge is more for administrative and billing purposes because the patient never left the hospital - just units. Thoughts?

I hate these types of situations.

I agree with you Lance, this is the same admit. CMS does not recognize this type of transfer as qualifying for separate admit and discharge codes.

http://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Manuals/Downloads/clm104c12.pdf

Physicians may bill both the hospital discharge management code and an initial hospital care code when the discharge and admission do not occur on the same day if the transfer is between:
• Different hospitals;
• Different facilities under common ownership which do not have merged records; or
• Between the acute care hospital and a PPS exempt unit within the same hospital when there are no merged records.
In all other transfer circumstances, the physician should bill only the appropriate level of subsequent hospital care for the date of transfer.

So my thoughts are if you didn't discharge them and they never physically left the facility how could you have another initial service when they come back to your floor during the same stay?

Hope that helps,

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC