Wiki surgical repair

lindafay1123

Networker
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Patient was admitted on January 10 for planned surgical repair of left carotid artery stenosis. He was taken to the OR where Dr Peters performed a thromboendarterectomy of the left carotid artery with patch graft. He was stable while in recovery and was transferred to the surgical ward when a bed was available Dr Peters stopped by to see the patient later in the evening on the 10th. He stopped by the morning of the 1/11 and noted that the patient was doing well and could be discharged later in the day. The patient was discharged home on the 11th with instructions to follow-up with Dr. Peters on the 18th. Assign the appropriate ICD-9-CM and CPT codes for the following:

would i use 35301? and v58.73

Patient was admitted on January 10 for planned surgical repair of left carotid artery stenosis. He was taken to the OR where Dr Peters performed a thromboendarterectomy of the left carotid artery with patch graft. He was stable while in recovery and was transferred to the surgical ward when a bed was available Dr Peters stopped by to see the patient later in the evening on the 10th. He stopped by the morning of the 1/11 and noted that the patient was doing well and could be discharged later in the day. The patient was discharged home on the 11th with instructions to follow-up with Dr. Peters on the 18th. Assign the appropriate ICD-9-CM and CPT codes for the following:

I would look in dischard chart that woul be a good code

I would look in dischard chart that woul be a good code

1/10/XX

35301 Thromboendarterectomy with graft, carotid
433.10 Occulusion and stenosis of carotid artery w/o mention of infarction

1/11/XX

99238 Hospital discharge day management
V58.73

35301 has 90-day global

You cannot code the hospital visits subsequent to the procedure, as CPT 35301 has a 90-day global period.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC