Wiki Surgical Pathology

tammster

Guru
Best answers
I am not familiar with pathology coding. But, from the intro in the CPT book, I would assume that this is billed by the actual lab performing those tests and/or biopsies.

One of our doctors has asked if he is able to bill these codes when sending a specimen to the lab. Due to a conversation he had with a local lab, he strongly believes that he can. Again, I don't think so - but, I don't want to mislead him with inaccurate information.

Please, can anybody give me some guidance?

Pathology

He can bill for gathering or taking of the specimen, as far as billing for the test performance itself the lab will have to bill for that process.

I hope that this helps.

Pathology continued

For instance, I am working for a dermatologist. The dermatologist takes the biopsy of moles, skin, or whatever they need to diagnose, then they send the specimen off to a lab to be tested. The dermatologist bills for the biopsy, however, he does not bill for the testing, the lab does.

I hope that this explanation helps you evern more.

I've since learned more about his arrangement with the lab. They want us to bill it as 'purchased diagnostic services'. Is there a special way to code it, as such?