Wiki Surgical Pathology 88331+88304?

vitaleung

Best answers
Hello, I am a student of CPC. I have a problem on the following question, hope somebody else can help to solve my problem since my examination date is on next week. Many thanks!

Question:
During a craniectomy the surgeon performed a frozen section of a large piece of tumor and sent it to pathology. The pathologist received a rubbery pinkish tan tissue measuring in aggregate 3 x 0.8 x 0.8 cm. The entire specimen is submitted in one block and a microscope was used to examine the tissue. The frozen section and the pathology report are sent back to the surgeon indicating that the tumor was a medulloblastoma. What CPT? code(s) will the pathologist report?
A. 80500
B. 88331-26
C. 80502
D. 88331-26, 88304-26

The official answer is B.

Answer key:
Since the pathology consultation of the tumor is performed during a surgery you are guided to code 88331. Codes 80500 and 80502 are reported according to CPT? guidelines when the pathologist gives a response to a request from an attending physician in relation to a test result(s) requiring additional medical interpretive judgment. The pathologist did not perform the final report of the tumor, eliminating multiple choice answer D. Modifier 26 reports the professional service.

My question is..
According to their answer key, "the pathologist did not perform the final report of the tumor" so the code 88304 will not be assigned. However, in view of the description from the question statement, " The frozen section and the pathology report are sent back to the surgeon indicating that the tumor was a medulloblastoma" the pathologist did provide a pathology report. I wonder if this statement can be considered the reporting of the tumor, which the code 880304 is involved and should be assigned.

Also, is the pathology report different from the "final report"?

And is medulloblastoma under the type of neuroma?

If only code 88331, what about the usage of the microscope? Do we need to code about this separately?

I also find some relevant info about this as follows:

Examples of surgical pathologys
CPT Assistant, July 2000 Pages: 4,12 Category: Coding Update

Clinical Examples

Example #1: A breast biopsy is sent to the pathologist intraoperatively for immediate diagnosis. The pathologist examines the specimen and selects a portion to prepare as a block for frozen section, which is microscopically examined. The frozen section for this specimen is coded using 88331. The definitive evaluation of the breast biopsy is coded using either 88305 or 88307, depending on whether or not the surgical margins of the specimen requires microscopic evaluation.

Example #2: Two separately identified basal cell carcinomas are submitted for diagnosis and evaluation of adequacy of the surgical margins. The first basal cell carcinoma specimen requires one frozen section from one block to confirm the adequacy of excision. The frozen section on the first specimen is coded using one unit of 88331. The second basal cell carcinoma specimen requires two frozen sections on two blocks to assure adequate excision. The first frozen section on the second specimen is coded using one unit of 88331; the second frozen section on this specimen is coded as 88332. Each of the two separately identified basal cell carcinomas is coded as 88305 for definitive examination.

Example #3: In the course of a radical prostatectomy, obturator lymph nodes from the right and left sides are submitted as separate specimens for immediate diagnosis with respect to involvement with metastatic disease. The pathologist examines each of these specimens and selects portions of lymph nodes resulting in two blocks on the right and three blocks on the left for frozen sections which are examined microscopically. The specimen from the right side involving a frozen section on each of the two blocks would be coded using one unit of 88331 and one unit of 88332. The specimen from the left side involving a frozen section on each of the three blocks would be coded using one unit of 88331 and two units of 88332. The right and left obturator lymph node resections would be coded using two units of 88307 and the radical prostatectomy specimen would be coded using 88309.

Hi,you have a large amount of information in your post. Hopefully I will be able to help provide a little information. Out of the four choices you are given to report this scenario I agree with the official answer of B.
The reason I state that is because 88304 wouldn't be an option for a brain biopsy. I know it was classified as a brain tumor presented for frozen section, but it doesn't state it's a resection, so this would be a biopsy and referring to the CPT book CPT 88307 would be the correct choice for the brain, biopsy.
Medulloblastoma is bad, pediatric brain tumor (cancer) occurring towards the back & to the bottom of the brain.
Thanks,
Dana Chock,CPC, CCA, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB
Anesthesia, Pathology & Laboratory Coder

Hello Dana,

Thank you so much for your reply. You response did matter to me and give me a light. I agree with you that if there is a coding of specimen analysis, it may be possible to fall under 88307: brain tumor biopsy/resection, instead of 88304.

Speaking of the term "tumor resection", I wonder if the key words, "during craniectomy the surgeon performed a frozen section of a large piece of tumor and sent it to pathology" imply there is a surgical removal of tumor. Is "craniectomy" different from the definition of "resection"? Or Since it doesn't state the exact extent of the removal, it is much more possible to consider a biopsy, right?

Besides this, I do not quite get to the point of the answer key stating "The pathologist did not perform the final report of the tumor, eliminating multiple choice answer D". Could you give me some clues of how you interpret it?

Sorry for the long list of my questions, since I am new to medical coding, I just want to try my best to understand every single point from the medical records/questions so that I would not misunderstand or miss it. Hope you could understand. Many thanks again for your help.

Brain biopsy/tumor

Hi,
The logic was that 88304 did not fit with your list of answers. We both know that it was a biopsy or even resection (both are the same code). I already knew that answers A & C were wrong. You have one remaining answer.
Personally part of taking an examination is not only identifying the correct answer but also ruling out or discrediting the remaining answers. Without access to the pathology report or the operative. B was your answer.

A "craniectomy" is not a resection - it's an excision of a segment of the skull. The tumor could be quite large, and without specifics stating it was a resection, I would code it as a biopsy. If this happened where I worked I would query the pathologist to provide additional information prior to coding.

What were the choices for coding this?
Hopefully this sheds a little more light on the pathology woes you are faced,
Thanks,
Dana