Wiki Surgical Modififiers - Laparscopic Nephrectomy?

Partha

Expert
Best answers
Cosurgeons perform bilateral laparascopic radical nephrectomy, one surgeon performs right nephrectomy and another surgeon performs left nephrectomy.

How do we bill for each surgeon?

50545-50,62 for each surgeon
or
50545-62 for each surgeon
or
50545-62,LT and 50545-62,RT

The CPT 50545 has a bilateral modifier indicator of '1' in the National Physician Fee schedule.

Co-surgeons and nephrectomies

First off lets revisit the definition of modifier 62, it should only be used when the surgery takes the skills of two surgeons to complete a single surgery ("When two surgeons work together as primary surgeons performing distinct part(s) of a procedure....). In this case it sounds like (and please correct me if I am wrong) the surgeons are either performing the surgeries in tandem or sequentially with each surgeon perfroming his/her own lap nephrectomy, correct? I do have to ask why are we removing both Kidneys in the same operative session?

IF this is the case they simple each bill their own. These surgeries are through opposite sites, done by different docs (even if they are in the same practice) so the only modifier I would use is RT and LT on CPT 50545.

Doc A does the left 50545-LT
Doc B does the right 50545-RT

Respectfully submmitted
NLR

First off lets revisit the definition of modifier 62, it should only be used when the surgery takes the skills of two surgeons to complete a single surgery ("When two surgeons work together as primary surgeons performing distinct part(s) of a procedure....). In this case it sounds like (and please correct me if I am wrong) the surgeons are either performing the surgeries in tandem or sequentially with each surgeon perfroming his/her own lap nephrectomy, correct? I do have to ask why are we removing both Kidneys in the same operative session?

IF this is the case they simple each bill their own. These surgeries are through opposite sites, done by different docs (even if they are in the same practice) so the only modifier I would use is RT and LT on CPT 50545.

Doc A does the left 50545-LT
Doc B does the right 50545-RT

Respectfully submmitted
NLR

Thanks! I had thought of that as the correct way to bill, but it'd be great have more inputs from the other forum members...:):):)