Wiki Surgical Codes for Inpatient Surgery

catmedfile

Best answers
Hello,

My provider is starting to use different CPT codes for surgery he is doing on patients in the hospital - like OHQLXZZ! He said he heard at a seminar that physicians have to use new CPT codes for any surgery done on an inpatient. I can't find where he is getting his information and I can't find any information on this at all - can anyone direct me to any information on this? I really feel like an idiot!

Thanks,
Catherine

Hello,

My provider is starting to use different CPT codes for surgery he is doing on patients in the hospital - like OHQLXZZ! He said he heard at a seminar that physicians have to use new CPT codes for any surgery done on an inpatient. I can't find where he is getting his information and I can't find any information on this at all - can anyone direct me to any information on this? I really feel like an idiot!

Thanks,
Catherine

I don't know where he is getting the information but ICD-10 PCS is coded by the facility not the physician

0HQLXZZ is an ICD-10 PCS code for Repair Left Lower Leg Skin, External Approach.
These are never use for physician coding and billing, or outpatient facility coding and billing. They are use only for facility inpatient coding and billing. Your claim will be denied with this code. You can however use the procedure note and code a CPT code for the claim.

Thank you everyone! He read a Med Learning article from Medicare and they used "provider" referring to hospitals but stated "all providers must use ICD10PCS codes for inpatient surgery as of 10/1/15" and even in the bullet below it it states "all physicians should use CPT codes for all services" he thinks that is for everything other than surgery. He is willing to give me CPT codes but is assured that I am completely wrong and the claims will be denied! Some days are more difficult than others!!!!!!

Thank you everyone! He read a Med Learning article from Medicare and they used "provider" referring to hospitals but stated "all providers must use ICD10PCS codes for inpatient surgery as of 10/1/15" and even in the bullet below it it states "all physicians should use CPT codes for all services" he thinks that is for everything other than surgery. He is willing to give me CPT codes but is assured that I am completely wrong and the claims will be denied! Some days are more difficult than others!!!!!!

Looks like your worth is about to go up when he receives and cashes that check :)