Wiki Surgery help

ERINM

Best answers
ANY IDEAS ON WHAT I SHOULD CHARGE FOR THIS?

An ellipitical excision of a neoplasm uncertain behavior with a #15 blade was carried down to the subcutaneous fat. Hemostasis was obtained with electrocautery and ligation of bleeding vessels. Upon exploration, the nodule was found to be bone. No specimen was removed. The wound was undermined with blunt dissection in the subcutaneous plane and the deep dermis and deep subcutaneous fat were closed with 5-0 Vicryl suture. The epidermis was closed with 6-0 Dermalon suture.

Musculoskeletal section

FIRST - This is not a neoplasm of uncertain behavior ... that particular diagnosis can ONLY be made by a pathologist after examining the specimen.

SECOND - you would code removal of a tumor/mass/cyst/lesion in the subq from the musculoskeletal section. The actual code depends on
1) body area where excision is undertaken
2) size of lesion
3) how deep the disection goes

THIRD - you would append a -53 modifier because the procedure was not completed, due to unforeseen circumstances. (I.E. there was no lesion but rather a bone and no specimen was removed)

Oh, and your question should not be what to "charge" but what to CODE. What you charge, i.e. your fee, is up to your practice determination.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC