Wiki Surgery coding question

CLBLUE

Networker
Best answers
Good day everyone. I have a coding question where I caught between two cpt codes. If you can take a moment and read the op note and then tell me would you pick option 1 or 2 and any comments will be great. Thanks

OP note is attached.

Please let me know between both options.

The physician makes an incision in the skin of the breast over the site of an abscess or suspicious tissue for exploration or drainage. The infected cavity is accessed and specimens for culture are taken before the cavity is irrigated with warm saline solution. Bleeding vessels may be tied or cauterized. If no abscess or suspicious tissue is found, the wound is closed with sutures. In the case of an abscess, the wound is usually loosely packed with gauze to promote free drainage rather than being closed with sutures

The physician removes tissue for biopsy. The physician makes an incision in the skin of the breast near the site of the suspect mass. The mass is identified and a sample of the lesion is removed. This specimen is often examined immediately. If the lesion is benign, the incision is repaired with layered closure. If malignant, the incision may be closed pending a separate, more extensive surgical session, or a more extensive surgery may occur immediately, in which case this code would not be reported.

Attachments

• img-830153031-0001.jpg
    img-830153031-0001.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Can't open attachment

Cannot open the attachment.

Can you copy/paste it into a forum posting? Of course, delete any personal identifying information ...

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC