Wiki Surgery canceled - sterilization procedure

ninchik

New
Best answers
Patient was admitted for a sterilization procedure at her request at ASC. She failed to follow preop instructions and drank some liquids. After consultation with anesthesia her surgery was delayed to permit stomach emptying. While awaiting anesthesia, the patient began to have second thoughts and decided to pstpone surgery. How woudl I code this?
Thank you

Patient was admitted for a sterilization procedure at her request at ASC. She failed to follow preop instructions and drank some liquids. After consultation with anesthesia her surgery was delayed to permit stomach emptying. While awaiting anesthesia, the patient began to have second thoughts and decided to pstpone surgery. How woudl I code this?
Thank you

The physician cannot code for anything as nothing was done for the patient. I don't know what, if anything, the facility can code for in these circumstances.

ANy Face-to-face encounter?

At best the physician/surgeon can code an E/M visit if there was a face-to-face encounter documented.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

correct there is nothing for the facility to code here, unless the patient was in the room where the procedure is to be performed when the decision to cancel was made, then the facility could bill the surgery with the 73 modifier, otherwise there is nothing to bill.