Wiki Surgery Admit same day Discharge

lcouto

Networker
Best answers
I apologize ahead of time if this is a strange question but here it goes... What place of service is used if the patient's place of service is surgery admit for a Watchman Procedure but discharged the same day? I am thinking POS 22 but second guessing myself because I know Watchman Procedures are considered an inpatient procedure.

In order to bill an inpatient POS code, there would need to be a physician order to admit the patient to inpatient status in the chart. If there's no such order, then it will be POS 22.

The inpatient-only procedure rules apply only to the facility's claims, and only for Medicare patients. If you're billing the physician's claim, you don't really need to be too concerned about it being an inpatient procedure, and the physician payment will be the same with POS 21 and 22. But the physician should be aware, because if they fail to admit the patient, then it can cause the facility to have a denial.

Last edited:
In order to bill an inpatient POS code, there would need to be a physician order to admit the patient to inpatient status in the chart. If there's no such order, then it will be POS 22.

The inpatient-only procedure rules apply only to the facility's claims, and only for Medicare patients. If you're billing the physician's claim, you don't really need to be too concerned about it being an inpatient procedure, and the physician payment will be the same with POS 21 and 22. But the physician should be aware, because if they fail to admit the patient, then it can cause the facility to have a denial.
Thank you.. I appreciate it