Wiki surgeons covering for surgeons, different companies

Best answers
I have a coding question that has been driving me crazy.
I code for one of the surgery groups. One is employed by our hospital the other surgery group in independent, they all rotate call at the hospital here. If one of their surgeons does a surgery on an inpatient, and on the days our surgeon is on call, he then sees the post op patient (for the other surgeon), how do I charge this out? He have given me 3 different patients with subsequent e/m codes. I did read I cannot bill a modifier 55 with an e/m code, that I need to use the same surgery code from the physician to be able to place the mod 55 and there must be a transfer of care listed. It really is not a transfer of care, just the surgeon covering for the other.
Can I just bill out subsequent visits with no modifier since they are separate surgery groups?
Please help?

tammy@gadsdensurgery.com

I have this same question regarding another surgeon from another group seeing our patients that our surgery performed surgery on. There is not a transfer of care, can this surgeon who is not in our group but is on call for us charge? if so do they charge a follow up like 99232 and is this where the -55 modifier comes in?