Wiki Suction D&C help please

TanBro

Networker
Best answers
I have a patient that was 12 weeks pregnant and found out the baby had lethal anomalies-acrania. It was not compatible with life. My doctor offered expectant management, induction of labor, or a suction D&C. She chose surgical management and had a suction D&C done. How would you code this for a CPT? I was thinking 59840 or would I go 59812 route? On 9/27/22 the baby had a heart rate of 187, the D&C was done on 10/13/22. I just don't want to use the wrong code to get anything flagged. Please Help!

Hi, you would use 59840 with the appropriate dx O35. code (bunch of new ones just came out). 59812 is for an incomplete abortion - patient would have been bleeding/abortion in progress. 59820 for missed abortion you would use if fetus had died but no bleeding/tissue had passed.

Hi, you would use 59840 with the appropriate dx O35. code (bunch of new ones just came out). 59812 is for an incomplete abortion - patient would have been bleeding/abortion in progress. 59820 for missed abortion you would use if fetus had died but no bleeding/tissue had passed.
Ok thank you. We have never used that code before, so I need to add it to our system. I'm the new coder here so I just wanted to make sure I was thinking the right thing. Thank you so much for your response.