Wiki Student in need of help ASAP

Best answers
Hello everyone! I am a current student of a Medical Billing and Coding program (online) and am finding difficulty understanding some of the material. I have compiled a list of questions/things that I do not understand along the way. I hope that someone is willing to help me understand the material. I am so anxious to complete my program (understand the material fully), sit for my certification exam (CPC), and get out into the field. I would love a mentor/tutor to help me really grasp the material if at all possible. My questions/areas of difficulty are listed below.

1. Where do you locate the codes for reporting the use of a surgical tray as indicated by the National Coding Initiative?

2. How do you properly sequence E codes?

3. How do you properly sequence V codes?

4. Where can I find the digits to place after the period in E codes?

5. How to identify/locate the additional digit required in the Tabular )Ex: Hodgkins sarcoma of thoracic lymph nodes 201.22)?

6. How do you know if a neoplasm (such as malignant neoplasm of bronchus) is primary, secondary, or ca in situ?

7. How do you determine the principal diagnosis (from operative reports, physicians notes, etc.)? I tend to get overwhelmed by all the details in the report and find myself either over coding or coding incorrectly.

8. How to properly sequence codes?

9. How to locate the code for a carcinoma of the broad ligament (confined to this location)?

10. How to code neoplasms?

11. How to properly code burns?

12. When do you include POA indicators?

13. I need help understanding MS-DRG codes and their uses.

14. I do not understand how to code the following (I was told there should be 2 dx codes, 1 v code, and 2 procedure codes) include POA indicator. (The layout below is where I get confused about what to code that I mentioned above in #7).

An 80 year old patient with hypertension was admitted to the hospital for cholecystectomy. The patient underwent an attemped laparoscopic cholecystectomy, but due to extensive adhesions, it has to be converted to an open cholecystectomy with exploration of the common duct and choledocholithotomy. Final diagnostic statement: 1. Acute and chronic cholecystitis with choledocholithiasis and cholelithiasis. 2. Hypertension.

I know this is a lot and I apologize. I just don't know where else to turn to because my school hasn't been much help at all.

Thank you.

Ashley

Tutor

I tried to send an e-mail just a few moments ago when there was a disconnect that happened with my provider; so, if you happened to already get a message like this, excuse me.

I was saying that I am not a Tutor, I also need one. However, if you are local maybe we could study together and assist each other in finding these answers. If you are not local, don't we love the internet?

I would love to have someone with whom to to bounce things about.

When will you sit for the exam?

I do not know all the answers for the questions you have asked but I do recognize the answers to some of them. Probably you know things I don't, and vice-versa.

If you would like to contact me please do at:
goodservicegoodrates@yahoo.com

My name is Ramona. I plan to sit, yet again, in September for the exam.

Hello everyone! I am a current student of a Medical Billing and Coding program (online) and am finding difficulty understanding some of the material. I have compiled a list of questions/things that I do not understand along the way. I hope that someone is willing to help me understand the material. I am so anxious to complete my program (understand the material fully), sit for my certification exam (CPC), and get out into the field. I would love a mentor/tutor to help me really grasp the material if at all possible. My questions/areas of difficulty are listed below.

1. Where do you locate the codes for reporting the use of a surgical tray as indicated by the National Coding Initiative?

2. How do you properly sequence E codes?

3. How do you properly sequence V codes?

4. Where can I find the digits to place after the period in E codes?

5. How to identify/locate the additional digit required in the Tabular )Ex: Hodgkins sarcoma of thoracic lymph nodes 201.22)?

6. How do you know if a neoplasm (such as malignant neoplasm of bronchus) is primary, secondary, or ca in situ?

7. How do you determine the principal diagnosis (from operative reports, physicians notes, etc.)? I tend to get overwhelmed by all the details in the report and find myself either over coding or coding incorrectly.

8. How to properly sequence codes?

9. How to locate the code for a carcinoma of the broad ligament (confined to this location)?

10. How to code neoplasms?

11. How to properly code burns?

12. When do you include POA indicators?

13. I need help understanding MS-DRG codes and their uses.

14. I do not understand how to code the following (I was told there should be 2 dx codes, 1 v code, and 2 procedure codes) include POA indicator. (The layout below is where I get confused about what to code that I mentioned above in #7).

An 80 year old patient with hypertension was admitted to the hospital for cholecystectomy. The patient underwent an attemped laparoscopic cholecystectomy, but due to extensive adhesions, it has to be converted to an open cholecystectomy with exploration of the common duct and choledocholithotomy. Final diagnostic statement: 1. Acute and chronic cholecystitis with choledocholithiasis and cholelithiasis. 2. Hypertension.

I know this is a lot and I apologize. I just don't know where else to turn to because my school hasn't been much help at all.

Thank you.

Ashley
one of the first things you should have been directed to is the ICD-9 CM(ICD-10 CM) guidelines. these are located in the front of every codebook. If you need a website to locate them I can provide that if you let me know. these guidelines will address most all of your issue. I do know the answers to all of your questions, however I think you should try and discover some of these on your own as you will learn much more in the process. You do need a code book, and from some of your questions I get the feeling you do not have one or you have not been taught how to use it. Once you learn how to use the codebook and read the guidelines, the rest is really easy! If you do need further
instruction you can pm me on this website but my box fills up fast and you may need to wait for me to empty it at any time. I apologize in advance if this happens. do message back if yiou cannot find the guidelines or you need assistance in understanding anything.