Wiki Stranger to OB Global package guidelines… HELP!!

ssebikari

Networker
Best answers
Pse pardon me if the has been discussed before.

Patient is admitted as an inpatient, Pt dx is 642.73 pre-eclampsia ante partum not delivered during episode of care, 648.03DM complic preg. Provider bills new inpt admit and subsquet inpt visits and discharges patient 4days later. Patient is back a week later and 59510 is billed by same provider. Would the inpatient episode be considered part of global period??

HI I m NOT an expert, But i don't think you can bill 59510. Sounds like it was a serv. ptn. and if so then the ptn was probably seen by her OB/GYN for regular prenatal care. Then 1 of these physicians will get a denial for services rendered. IF THIS WAS a serv ptn. then u can bill for inp visits and bill for C-sec 59514 and see what happens w/ post-partum.
Please make sure you get a Confirmation from someone else to verify that this is crrect.

it's not global.

Yes, the inpatient episode is separately billable. Look in your CPT book under "Prenatal and Postpartum Visits" they exclude medical complications of pregnancy: such as cardiac problems, diabetes, hypertension, toxemia, pre-term labor, etc.

When you say, patient back a week later...is that when he delivered the baby by C-section? If so, yes, you would bill 59510.