Wiki Stereotactic Localiztion followed by Partial Mastectomy

tcooper@nmhs.net

Networker
Best answers
Good Morning..What Cpt Codes would you use for the follow operation?

Procedure: Stereotacitc needle localization left breast Lumpectomy with sentinel lymph node biopsy.

Patient was taken to the Stereotactic Room Breast Compressed needle was placed into each targeted area. The patient was then taken to the Operating Room the left breast was injected with 5ml of Lymphazurin dye. Node was excised in left axilla. Closed this area. Lumpectomy was done and x-ray showed both clips in the specimen with good margins.

The codes I have are 19301, 19283, 38525, 38900. The surgeon did take the patient to the Stereotactic Suite and he did the Stereotactic localization himself. The patient was then taken to the Operating Room.

Thank you for your help.
Teresa

Hi,

All the codes seem fine except the stereotactic needle localization code 19283 which shows edit with 19301. I also get these kind of scenarios all the time but in my case the practitioner performing the localization procedure is different from the practitioner performing the lumpectomy and node removal. So, I bill CPT 19283 with modifier XP for separate practitioner. But, in your case since the practitioner is same, all we need to figure out is whether we can bill CPT Code 19283 with modifier XU on the basis of different places of service performed (stereotactic suite v/s operating room) which I'm not really inclined towards. But, I'll have to research more on this.

Hope this was helpful!

Regards.

Amber