Wiki Status Post left hip fracture

sgeorges

Contributor
Best answers
I have an older patient that has been admitted into a Skilled Nursing Facility from the hospital after falling at home. She ended up with a subtrochanteric hip fracture, and the doctors at the hospital performed an intramedullary nailing on her left hip.

Now my question is, I am coding for the admission into the nursing facility, and I'm not quite sure how to code for the "follow up care" for this patient. My doc wrote the following for the diagnosis:
1. Status post subrochanteric left hip fracture/status post intramedullary nailing

I just haven't coded in a while, and I feel a bit rusty. Can you guys give me a bit of direction?

In that case the first listed code is V57.x followed by the reason for rehab like gait instability followed by 905.x for late effect of fx or the V54.x for healing fx

Medicare billing for SNF

I am having some difficulty with finding a suitable dx for snf residents admitted strictly for rehab (usually after a surgery like a hip arthroplasty). For Medicare we can't bill V codes primary. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

You can bill V codes primary to Medicare. The appropriate codes for rehab are the V57.- codes, these are first only allowable. Check your coding guidelines under general guidelines number 15 encounter for rehab.

a little help

We bill V57.1 as primary for medicare. They don't kick it out. We are a home health company. We bill like skilled nursing. I'm having trouble finding the gait instability code for my secondary. Do you know what it is