Wiki staple removal from doc other than performing

cchasse

Contributor
Best answers
We had a patient who had a surgery done for open reduction of a fracture by a physician at a different hospital. This patient came to our orthopod to have the staples removed since it was a closer drive. Does our doc bill the procedure with a modifier or does the E/M cover the staple removal? Please help asap.

thanks!

You must obtain a transfer of care from the physician that performed the surgery in order to bill for post op care. If the surgeon does not provide a transfer which must be written in the chart then you must bill the patient or write it off. If you do obtain the transfer of care then you bill using the code for the procedure performed with the 55 modifier.

The first orthopods office is aware he was being seen by our doc. However, we are not sure if he will be follow up with us or the first orthopod. "Staples are removed. We discussed the K wire and I told patient to get confirmation from (first orthopod) before I would consider removing it." Still bill with the procedure code and modifier?

Yes but you must have the transfer of care and being aware is not the same thing. Once they know you are billing to obtain a part of what they have been paid they may not give you the transfer. If they have already received their reimbursement they will be asked for a refund. You will need to inform them that you are billing a part of their global with the 55 modifier. This arrangement is usually worked out in advance.