Wiki Staffing an orthopedic billing department

Cindyrev67

Networker
Best answers
Staffing "formula"

Does anyone know of any documentation or resource available that would describe how to staff a billing department in a specialty facility, such as an Orthopedic clinic? I am basically trying to find a “formula” as to how to staff the billing dept, whether its per doctor, or per number of claims, etc…

I would greatly appreciate any feedback!!

Last edited:
Does anyone know of any documentation or resource available that would describe how to staff a billing department in a specialty facility, such as an Orthopedic clinic? I am basically trying to find a “formula” as to how to staff the billing dept, whether its per doctor, or per number of claims, etc…

I would greatly appreciate any feedback!!

It would depend on the # of claims you expect to process. Surgeries, E/M, etc. will come in to play. What type of Orthopedic docs will you have - Hand, Spine, Sports, etc. I would start with those estimates.

I would definitely look at the number of claims as that will determine the workload for each employee. Also, you would want to consider whether or not your front desk people are registering the patient demographics and insurance information and how the coding is given to the billers (EMR vs. Superbill).